Image | Gamelab BCN
In Barcelona, videogames have moved beyond an activity exclusively for leisure and metamorphosed into a rapidly growing industry. Many international companies, both national and international, have achieved great success by basing themselves out of Barcelona, a tech industry hub brimming with resources for development and networking. Companies like King, Gameloft and SocialPoint have been leading the industry with games available for web and mobile use, creating a whole new way to play.
To further develop the mobile technology sector in Barcelona, the city is home to conferences and events such as the Gamelab BCN conference. This is an event where world-class speakers and international professionals of digital entertainment congregate each year in Barcelona for three days, inspiring and sculpting the future of the videogame industry.
Gamelab was founded in 2005 as a non-profit organization committed to creating quality events that bring together great minds and cultivate innovation. Each June, its flagship event takes place in Barcelona drawing over 1,000 participants from Spain and beyond. The audience is a blend of students, academics, startup founders, business executives, journalists and more. This year, the event will open its doors on June 24th at 9:30am and will be in full swing from 10am until 6:30pm on the 24th, 25th and 26th.
Image | Gamelab BCN
The Gamelab BCN event is organized into 5 distinct sections to ensure maximum efficiency and effectiveness:
- Main Conference Track: World-class speakers share their insights and visions with the general audience and press. The lineup of guests and speakers include notable individuals responsible for some of the most popular videogames on the market: Toru Iwatani, creator of Pac-man and professor at Tokyo Polytechnic University; Shinji Mikami, creator of Resident Evil series and founder of Tango Gameworks; or Jordan Mechner, creator, author, game designer and screenwriter of Prince of Persia videogame franchise. Here there’s the complete list.
- Partners Track: Workshops and specialized sessions for the professional community provided by the sponsors and partners of Gamelab BCN 2015.
- Networking space: Startups, indie developers and other platforms showcase their latest products and services and interact with one another.
- Awards: A ceremony to recognize the best games and projects presented at Gamelab BCN 2015. Nominations have been made for this year’s Game of the Year and for categories such as Best Mobile Game, Best PC Game, Best Game Design and more. The most nominated games and favourites to win multiple titles are Mind: Path to Talamus by Mind Dev Team, Bubble Witch Saga 2 by King and Missing Translation by Alpixel Games.
- Events: The activities continue after hours in the form of demo sessions, happy hours, parties, dinners and more!
Image | Gamelab BCN 2015 speakers
The Main Conference Track and the Partners Track run simultaneously from 10am to 6:30pm each day. Participants can take advantage of additional resources such as the LinkedIn networking group, Gamelab’s online matchmaking tool for schedule meetings with other participants and the networking dinner on the 24th organized by Gamelab and SocialPoint. There are still available passes!
The conference has received glowing reviews from past participants labelling it as impressive, inspiring and efficient. Gamelab BCN stands out for its enthusiastic attendees and fantastic speakers, all of which come together to form an incredible networking experience. With continued support of progressive events such as this, Barcelona will continue to establish itself as a leader in the technology industry.