There are days when just leaving the house makes you see the world in a different light. An important football match, the holding of an international conference or the start of the tourist season have the power to give the world a new dimension and create a new scenario full of different nuances.
For example, from 27 September to 2 October, Barcelona’s citizens will notice that the city’s usual activity is tinged with a hint of entrepreneurial spirit; the Startup Week, the international initiative promoted by accelerator Techstars, will invade the Catalonian city to celebrate the achievements of the entrepreneurial community.
Startup Week is not a typical conference; from deciding that a city will host the event, local organisers select the tracks they feel are most relevant to their community and choose speakers based on those tracks. Typically, the Startup Week events are not held in just one location, but are spread out over the city. This versatile way off organising Startup Week means it is a fresh and flexible event, always tailored to the interests and needs of each of the international communities.
- Finance: Entrepreneur Javier Megías will talk within his track about Business Models. Other popular conferences relating to this topic are Venture Capital in Spain, by Javier Ulecia (President of ASCRI Spanish Venture Capital and Private Equity Association) and Elevator Pitch for Business Angels, by Miquel Costa (President and CEO of Keiretsu Forum Spain).
- Investors: A track dedicated to the investors’ profile in which the debate Business Angels vs. Venture Capitals Pros and Cons, moderated by Farley Duvall (Co Founder & CEO of White Bull) and with participation from Andrés Cárdenas (President of BCN Business Angels) and Carlos Trenchs Sainz de la Maza (Director of Caixa Capital Risc) is one of the most popular events.
- IoT/Software/Wearables: In an itinerary dedicated to the Internet of Things, there are events that are rather different, such as The CTO’s session chat, led by the owner of Adesis Netlife, Gonzalo Ruiz de Villa; and the live demonstration, Open-house demonstration laser cutter, 3D printer, and CNC, from the AttA co-working venue.
- Leadership: Within this topic area is the UNnovation caffee – UNworkshop studio, led by Vanessa Shaw (Founder & Lead Consultant of Human Side of Tech) and Jenni Walford (Founder of Provokarte BCN), 20 management errors that nobody should make, by Joan Riera (Founder of Active Development) and Talent is everything – How to create a strong culture and a team of true A-players, by Sebastian Ross (Partner of Gazelles).
- My Startup Experience: Via various talks given in the Cibernàrium located in the MediaTic building, startups such as CartoDB, Marfeel, Wallapop and Ulabox will share the challenges that can arise along the way to creating a new company.
Image | 4YFN 2015
Within the last track, on Friday 2nd October Startup Week will come to an end with the Elevator Pitch Competition at Barcelona Activa Auditorium, located in the same building as the headquarters of Mobile World Capital Barcelona and mStartup. The Elevator Pitch Competition is a contest in which, from a short pitch, the members of a startup must convince the jury of the quality of their project.
Aleix Valls, director of the Entrepreneurship and Innovation programme 4 Years From Now, is a member of this specialised jury which hands out prizes such as a “fast track” to Jury Day of the VII Top Seed Labs Acceleration Meeting, a Business Launch Package completely personalised from Vistaprint, three pairs of tickets to the next edition of 4YFN for the competition’s three finalists and access to the “Founders & Investors meetings” which take place during the conference, and many more prizes.
Other venues that will host Barcelona Startup Week activities are the Antiga Fàbrica Estrella Damm (old Estrella Damm brewery building), the Àgora room in CosmoCaixa, the terrace of the Novotel Barcelona City hotel and the Bonavida bar.
The startup week will close with a party in Barcelona’s OPIUM nightclub, a limited access event for which there are still tickets available.