Since their advent mobile technologies have carved out a fundamental role in people’s daily lives, becoming tools increasingly considered essential. Cities, a key context for individual, social and economic development, are no exception. It is against this background that Mobile World Capital Barcelona supports the Smart Living program, which, through the Mobile Ready initiative, shares innovative tourism experiences with people for the second straight year.
From 26 February to 6 March, coinciding with the GSMA Mobile World Congress, an array of creative, technologically-advanced solutions will be featured at different Barcelona hotels, illustrating the future of tourism services. These products and services are already a reality, launched to improve the user experience.
Six experiences in six stunning spaces
In 2015 Mobile Ready centres on six digital experiences offered at various hotels around the city, the Mobile World Centre, and Barcelona-El Prat Airport. Anyone interested in finding out what it is like to feel the future with his own hands can visit these exceptional sites and enjoy the experience.
– Augmented reality and virtual reality: On its terrace the Hotel Royal Passeig de Gràcia has prepared the “Prismáticos Digitales” (Digital Binoculars) experience, making it possible to take in the city skyline using mobile devices, view information superimposed on certain points of interest, interact with them, or even conduct virtual visits to these places.
– Wearables and bitcoins: Virtual payment has never been so easy. Thanks to the experience offered byAlexandra Barcelona Doubletree by Hilton, one will no longer have to carry coins, keys, or a wallet. All payments will be possible via smartphones, or smart bracelets or watches – like the project developed by Ikomobi-, which will also function to open room doors and pay for complementary services. This hotel also features an automatic cash machine that issues bitcoins, making the experience of handling and purchasing with virtual currency as real as possible.
– Digital and interactive self-service: The Hotel Condes de Barcelona and Digalix have placed XTable into operation, a digital touchscreen allowing citizens and visitors to check out restaurant menus and room services at the same time they consult their Twitter account or watch a video on YouTube. With XTable sharing a table means sharing a screen.
– The smart room: For fans of smart technology the Hotel Eurostars BCN Design proposes an immersion experience right in your room. Controlled by mobile phones, smart rooms will combine smart elements like projections, domotics, and objects to provide guests with images, sounds and services designed to meet their needs and satisfy their preferences. The hotel also boasts an interactive Xperience Wall allowing guests to consult information, buy tickets, or contract services.
– QRs and retail: At its T1 the Barcelona-El Prat Airport offers the chance to download discount or gift coupons valid at the shopping area. This is done through PromoWall, a giant digital panel that enables travellers, after scanning a QR code, to store promotional information on their devices, later showing it at the relevant store.
– 3D holograms: Holographic technology comes to the NH Collection Barcelona Constanza, with telepresence and “High Tech Made Easy” systems designed to optimise business meetings. In this way high-performance meetings and impactful events can be rendered more interactive and functional.
– The Internet of Things and new features at #MWC15: The latest Mobile Ready experience is found at theMobile World Centre. Starting on 2 March, the first floor of the Plaza Catalunya building houses the exhibition *“Connected Beings. How Tech Makes Us Better”*, a route through several installations exploring in depth the value of shared information. Moreover, during the celebration of the congress in Barcelona citizens who visit the Centre will be able to check out all the new features presented there, in person and free of charge.
Smart life begins with the user experience. What better way to experience this than to visit each one of the six sites that Mobile Ready offers?